What is ERCP?
ERCP stands for Endoscopic Retrograde cholangio Pancreatography
Let’s understand each of its word one by one
Endoscopic- is the process to see the esophagus and stomach by a long, thin flexible tube tool called endoscope, a camera and ultrasound probe is attached to see the digestive system
Retrograde- it’s a direction in which a liquid is injected through the endoscope in GI Tract, bile duct system, and pancreas it helps to know about the problems when an x-ray is done
Cholangio- it is bile duct system
Pancreatography –It is the pancreas
The process to take the X-ray which you familiar in the retrograde point called cholangiopancreatography.
In Abu Dhabi, we use ERCP to check the patience which is suffering the form of jaundice –when the eyes and skin become yellowish, pancreatitis due to gallstone
What is the Purpose of an ERCP?
The purpose of ERCP is to better know the abnormalities in the bile and pancreas ducts. It’s an endoscopic procedure which is used to dye into the duct of bile and pancreas. Due to this, better x-ray images are taken.
The main purpose of ERCP is:-
. To see the blockages by stone, tumor or scarring in the ducts of biliary and pancreatic
. ERCP is also used to find the cause of abnormal liver and it also helps in other tests like CT scan or MRI exam.
. If any stone and blocks are found during ERCP, tools are used to relieve the block and stone are removed from the duct of Pancreases and Bile.
. ERCP help to get relieved from the Jaundice (when eyes and skin become yellowish) which is generally caused by the blockage in the bile ducts
. ERCP easily find the cause of Inflammation (redness and swelling in pancreases), pancreatitis and also prevents such future attacks.
. It also helps to avoid surgeries.
Preparation we take for ERCP in Abu Dhabi
These below are some of the important steps we take to do your ERCP. Be sure to follow them all. The nurse will definitely help you to get ready, and don’t forget to bring your quires, worries, and questions, we will happy to clear them.
1. When you come for ERCP please let us know all medication you are currently taking, it will be good if you make a list of it and also mention about any allergy you are facing.
a. The list should have both over the counter (OTC) and prescription med by a doctor, OTC means like aspirin, vitamins, NSAID’ & supplements.
b. On the basis of that list, we will tell you what medication you can take on the day of ERCP.
c. We will also tell you what medication is not good to take in the day of ERCP.
d. We will also tell you should you take the medication before the day of ERCP.
2. Please let us know if you have a. If you have Diabetes and detail of medication you are taking for it:
a. Have diabetes and what medications you are on for it.
b. In Abu Dhabi sometime people sometimes forget to tell us about their past surgeries in bowel and Stomach hope you don’t forget.
c. Have a pacemaker or other implanted electromedical devices.
d. Have had stomach or bowel surgery, swallowing problems or other gastrointestinal (GI) problems.
e. Have heart, lung or any other health problems that may need special care before the test.
3. we suggest not to drink or eat anything for at least 6 hr. and if your ERCP in Abu Dhabi schedule in the morning so try not to eat in midnight.
4. To make the ERCP easy for you we will give you the sedation to block the pain so after the test you feel bit sleepy so try not to drive the car. So bring someone that drive you home safe.
5. You must have someone with you to review the discharge instructions and to drive you home after the test.
6. Plan to rest at home for the rest of the day after your test. We suggest our patients after ERCP try to rest at home and don’t do any work.
ERCP can be done as an outpatient procedure, but some people may need to go to a hospital based on their individual cases. Be sure you know exactly where you need to go the day of your procedure as it may not be at your doctor’s office.
Ask your doctor or nurse if there is anything you do not understand.
ERCP – What to Know:
- ERCP help to effectively find the Causes of Jaundice, pancreatitis in Abu Dhabi,
- ERCP is used to look at gallbladder, part of small intestine (duodenum), Pancreas and duct of Pancreas and bile
- To look and treat the health issues in Gastrointestinal tract ERCP is also used.
What do we do before ERCP?
Your doctor will tell you more specifically what you can expect during the test. Some things may include:
- Our nurse will review the medical histories, allergies, and medication that you are taking.
- You have to wear a hospital gown.
- To make ERCP easy for you we will give you the sedations which make you feel sleepy.
- Dr. Abdulhadi Quadri well review your consent form, happy to answer all your Questions after that you have to sign the form which is about you are aware of ERCP and have the Understanding of test.
During Your ERCP
• To block the pain you will be given sedation which makes you sleepy.
• We do everything to make the ERCP easy, comfortable and safe for you. Sedation won’t stop certain sensation like my feel as we use air to put the scope in place.
• The constant watch will be put in the blood pressure, pulse and oxygen level.
• In the back of your throat, we spray with something to numb so you won’t feel discomfort.
• To pass the endoscopy we will place a block between your teeth’s.
• After you completely relaxed we will pass the Endoscope from your esophagus into your stomach and duodenum (small intestine’s first section).
• If we find any abnormalities we will do the biopsy (talking small tissue and then evaluating them under a microscope) you will not feel this.
• A small tube is put down in the duodenum and led into the duct of pancreases and bile duct. The tube will put a special dye into the duct for the x-ray.
•After this X-ray machines will be used to take the picture of the dye lightening up the ducts.
• We also remove the problems during ERCP in Abu Dhabi like:
– If a stone is causing a block, your doctor is often able to remove it.
– Your doctor may do a sphincterotomy, which opens the entry of the ducts into the bowel.
– A small camera may be passed into the bile or pancreatic duct to visualize and photograph stones, strictures or tumors, and to facilitate biopsies or break up large stones.
– A stent can be put in your ducts if they are obstructed or constricted.
• After the doctor is done looking inside, the endoscope will be removed, and you will wake up in recovery as the medicine wears off.
After Your ERCP
After the ERCP we will evaluate our findings and will let you know other things which you can expect like:
• After the ERCP you will find yourself in the recovery room you will feel bit sleepy until the sedation effect wears off.
• As we stated in some above points you are not supposed to do any work like driving, working or making.
• You have to bring someone with you for the ERCP as after ERCP you won’t do any work so your partner will drive you home safe.
• After ERCP in Abu Dhabi people may have little issues like Bloating, You will also pass a lot of gas and your stool will be bit soft. But all these things will be gone away within 24 hours.
• All the results of ERCP will be disclosed with you and the suggestion, medication and what to do next step, will tell you by the doctor.
• The result of Biopsy will also be disclosed with the ERCP reports.
• We do not suggest our Abu Dhabi patient eat instantly we will tell you about the time to eat and after how many hours you can back in your normal routine.
• Contact your doctor’s office if you have any questions after your ERCP.
Safety/Adverse Reactions of an ERCP
Be sure to talk to your doctor about your risk and any concerns you may have.
• Depending on your case, ERCP can have a 5 to 10 percent risk of complications.
– In rare cases, severe complications may call for hospitalization.
• Mild to severe inflammation (swelling) of the pancreas can happen. This is known as acute pancreatitis.
– You may need go to hospital for treatment.
– You may need surgery.
• Bleeding can happen in an ERCP, especially if a sphincterotomy is performed.
– This bleeding usually stops on its own.
• A puncture or tear of the bowel wall or bile duct is a rare problem that can happen.
• Infection can happen.
– Treatment for infection is antibiotics and restoring drainage if there is a block.
– There have been reports of antibiotic-resistant infections that come from the endoscope tool used. The FDA has worked with endoscope manufacturers and provided strict guidelines for cleaning and disinfection. Talk to your doctor about concerns on this issue.
• You may have a reaction to any of the medications used during ERCP, but these are mostly minor.
If you have any of these symptoms after your ERCP, call your doctor right away.
• Severe pain in your upper abdomen and/or back area that isn’t helped by pain medicine.
• Severe nausea.
• Trouble swallowing.
• Bloody, black or tarry stool.
• Chills or fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.